Several image databases are available through Gorgas Library’s Electronic Databases Page. On the page, from the scrolling menu on the left, select ‘Art (History and Studio)‘, then click on ‘Find Databases.’ There you will find, in alpha-order, links to ARTstor, CAMIO, and StyleSight (fashion and design). From an on-campus computer, you may go directly to the sites:
I just went to the ARTStor training and I’m totally geeking out. It’s amazing. You can download WAY high res., Pollock images, for example, and actually SEE the dimensionality of the paint and the weave of the canvas behind the paint. AWESOME!! – anonymous but very enthusiastic art history professor
FIND DIGITAL IMAGES ON THE INTERNET
- Delicious Resources 4 UA Art
A searchable collection of URLs with tags like ARH252, ARH 253, Renaissance, Asianart, bookarts, contemporary, etc.
- Artcyclopedia http://www.artcyclopedia.com
- Luna Commons from Luna Insight, Inc.: http://www.lunacommons.org/
“…hundreds of thousands of images made available from reputable sources for educational and public use.”
- Web Gallery of Art – a searchable database of European painting and sculpture from 11th to mid-19th centuries.
- Wikimedia commons: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
“a database of 5,119,761 freely usable media files…” See also the limited section, Quality Images: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Quality_images
- Google Images: http://images.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi
Email for more help finding images.
DEPARTMENT MEMBERS: Access our digital collections on the A&S Share Server from a department computer:
PC path: My computer\S:\ART\Slide Room\Digital Images\
Mac path (in Finder: Go>Connect to Server): asfs/Share/ART/Slide Room/Digital Images/