Read our news releases and some quick facts about the Department of Art and Art History. Feel free to contact us if you’d like more info.
Check out photos of our events on Flickr.
Feel free to use our photos with a credit line: Photo courtesy of The University of Alabama Department of Art and Art History.
The Department of Art and Art History provides an innovative, energetic, and interdisciplinary learning environment that focuses on academic excellence in the areas of art history and studio art. We provide specialized education for majors and minors in our department, as well as offer general enrichment to students working within the broader context of a university-wide liberal arts curriculum. Our introductory-level courses aim at developing in students a lifelong appreciation for the visual arts from a global perspective. Our upper-level curriculum continues this goal while also preparing students for graduate study or for positions within the art world, including museum administration, publishing, communication arts, and design.
See articles, videos and more about the UA Art and Art History students, faculty and alumni in the news! Check out our new video page.
Useful facts about the Department of Art and Art History
- UNDERGRADUATE MAJORS: almost 300 in art history and studio art
- GRADUATE MAJORS: 24 in art history and studio art
- 13 faculty – 4 in art history and 9 in studio art
- 4 affiliated galleries: Paul R. Jones Gallery, Sarah Moody Gallery, Sella-Granata Gallery and the University of Alabama Gallery at the CAC
- Notable UA Art Alumni and Faculty
Annual Events and Exhibitions
- Biennial Faculty Exhibition
- Annual Graduate Student Symposium in Art History (spring semester)
- Annual BFA Juried Exhibition (spring semester)
- Annual Selections from the Permanent Collection exhibition
- BFA majors exhibitions
- Graduate student thesis exhibitions (MFA and MA)
- Paul R. Jones Lecture Series (year-round)
- Visiting Artists and Lecturers Program (year-round)
Department of Art and Art History
The University of Alabama
103 Garland Hall
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0270
(205) 348-0287 (fax)
Ms. Rachel Dobson
Communications Specialist, Visual Resources Curator and Webmaster