- PhD, University of Missouri, 2012
Dr. Kate Kocyba teaches courses in Survey of Art II (ARH 253, western art survey, Renaissance through modern periods) and Survey of Art III (ARH 254, non-western art survey). She received the PhD from the University of Missouri in art history, with her primary area of study in architectural history and secondary areas in 19th century European and American art. Dr. Kocyba received her MA in art gallery and museum studies from the University of Manchester (Manchester, UK), and a BA from SUNY-Potsdam with a double major in history and art history and a minor in museum studies. She worked as the architectural historian for the Forest Service Eastern Regional Office in Milwaukee and prior to this position was a member of a preservation and restoration AmeriCorps Hands-On Team for the Appalachian Forest Heritage Area in West Virginia. She was a visiting assistant professor in the department of art history and archaeology at the University of Missouri, Columbia, where she taught courses in early American art and culture, Renaissance and Baroque architecture and British Gothic Revival architecture and Pre-Raphaelite art, among others.
Dr. Kocyba’s current project is titled “Construction and Arrangement: Episcopalians and Ecclesiological Gothic Revival Churches in the Wisconsin Frontier, 1835 – 1865.” Current research in progress are “U.S. Depression Town Planning: New Deal Homesteads in West Virginia” and “Opening of Japan and American Gilded Age Interior Designs.” Her awards include the Opler Membership Grant from the Society of Architectural Historians and the Sally Kress Tompkins Fellowship from the Historic American Buildings Survey and the Society of Architectural Historians. Dr. Kocyba is the coauthor of the National Historic Landmark Nomination for “George Washington Masonic National Memorial.” Washington, D.C. for the National Park Service. She recently presented her paper, “’Less is a Bore’: Expanding American Architectural History Beyond High Style Architecture” at SECAC 2018 in Birmingham, Ala.