Assistant Professor of Art
Before coming to the department in 2015 to teach digital media, Jane Cassidy was a multi-disciplinary artist and educator in New Orleans. Primarily trained in music composition and animation, Cassidy received a Masters of Philosophy in Music and Media Technologies from Trinity College Dublin in 2008 as well as an MFA in Digital Art from Tulane in 2014. Her interests lie in visual music, installations, live VJing, electro-acoustic composition and multi-channel work.
Cassidy’s areas of specialization are Digital Arts, Installation, Animation, Composition, Intermedia. Experimentation is central to her work and she is constantly attempting to forge new techniques to build new ephemeral environments and architectures. Recently, she has focused on developing compositions through a variety of experimental approaches to projection, sculptural work and surround sound.
Over the summer of 2017, Assistant Professor of Art Jane Cassidy was artist in residence at Aras Éanna Arts Centre on Inis Oírr in July 2017, a 2-square-mile island off the west coast of Ireland. She will return there for the Winter Solstice to create a site-specific projection mapping project that will light up the 600-year-old O’Brien’s Castle at the center of the island. Cassidy has made a short film, Na Lonnai Mor An Suaimhneas, which has been shown at galleries in Galway, Ireland and Stockholm, Sweden, and will be screened next week at the Sound/Image Conference, Greenwich University, London. In June 2018, Cassidy will have a four-gallery solo exhibition at the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts, of her immersive light and sound installation The Undersea Well. The film uses slow motion recordings of the ocean with an accompanying hymn that Cassidy wrote.
Cassidy’s performances and installations have also happened at European Media Art Festival, Germany; Punto Y Raya Festival, Spain; Kilkenny Arts Festival and Cork Midsummer Festival, Ireland; and group shows in Dublin, Galway, New Orleans and Philadelphia.
Recent media and exhibitions:
- The Undersea Well, Montgomery (Ala.) Museum of Fine Arts (June)
- projection mapping project, O’Brien’s Castle, Inis Oírr, Ireland (Winter Solstice)
- Na Lonnai Mor An Suaimhneas, screening, Sound/Image Conference, Greenwich University, London, UK
- artist residency, Aras Éanna Arts Centre on Inis Oírr, Ireland (July)
- Long Since The Sun Has Set – solo exhibition, Tahoe Underground Film Festival, Nevada
- Invisible Like Gravity, Acadiana Center For The Arts, Lafayette, Louisiana
- Performance with Generic Art Solutions, Mindy Solomon Gallery, Miami, Florida
- Festival of Film on Architecture, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Southern Constellations Fellowship at Elsewhere, Greensboro, NC
- Screening: Exit To The Shallows, Experimental Video Architecture, Venice
- Currents New Media Festival, Sante Fe
- Babies In Space at the Alliance Theatre with Dashboard, Kelly O’Brien and Fly On A Wall, Atlanta
- “A Building With A View”: Experiments in Anarchitecture, Contemporary Arts Center, New Orleans
- Frimaire is the Color, Luna Fête, Arts Council New Orleans
- Music For Cars At Night On Country Roads, digital album
- More about Cassidy’s installation, Music for Cars…
- Cinema Reset at the New Orleans Film Festival: audio visual installation “Music For Cars At Night On Country Roads“
- Q&A on NOLAVIE.com
- 53rd Ann Arbor Film Festival: solo exhibition “Fits of Easy Reflection”
- Acadian Center for the Arts, Lafayette, Louisiana
- The Air Is Free (MFA thesis exhibition), Tulane, New Orleans
- Swells for the Night Season (solo exhibition), Parse Gallery, New Orleans
- They Upped Their Game After the Oranges, Parse Gallery, New Orleans (video below)
M.F.A., Tulane University (2014)