Communications Specialist and Visual Resources Curator
Rachel Dobson serves as communications specialist and visual resources curator for the Department of Art and Art History. She promotes the activities of our current students and faculty, and preserves the history of the department through print and online publications, social media and real and digital archives. She is editor of our department newsletter, The Loupe, and maintains the department’s website (you are here!)
For help with your research, come to the Image Resource Center (205 Garland) or check out our research tips online here.
- If you are having an exhibition, or other art happening, contact her with your event information (title, date, time, location, interesting details) and she will help you get the word out.
- If you are one of our alumni, click here to send your art news and images of your work.
- She also produces and distributes the weekly Art Roundup, a comprehensive list of art exhibitions and events in the West Alabama, as a service of the UA Department of Art and Art History.
Social Media for the UA Department of Art and Art History
- UA Art on Facebook
- Alabama Art History Association on Facebook
- Alumni of UA Art and Art History (includes The Loupe!)
- Flickr images of our department
+ + +
In 2015, Dr. Robert Olin, Dean of the UA College of Arts and Sciences, presented Dobson the This Is How College is Meant To Be Award “for extraordinary service in fulfilling the promise.” She serves as assistant editor of Muscogiana: Journal of the Muscogee Genealogical Society.
“‘We Beg the Assistance of the Press and the Ladies Throughout the South to Aid Us’: Chattahoochee Valley Newspapers and the Lost Cause.” Muscogiana: Journal of the Muscogee Genealogical Society (Columbus State University) 26 (Spring 2015).
M.L.I.S., The University of Alabama (2012)
M.A., The University of Alabama (2007), art history; link to thesis title and abstract
B.A., Smith College (1982), studio art, concentration in painting