Art Roundup from the UA Dept. of Art and Art History: today is Wednesday, December 11, 2019. NOW‘s the time to check out the eleven art exhibitions that are open in West Alabama! (Those are just the ones we know about.) Thanks to Daniel White for our featured image. Send us your visual arts events — we want to know what you’re up to. This list is updated throughout the week here.
- NOW-DEC 12 William Paul Thomas: Breathin’ Different, Sarah Moody Gallery of Art
- NOW-DEC 12 Making Alabama. A Bicentennial Traveling Exhibit, Tuscaloosa Public Library, 1801 Jack Warner Parkway, Tuscaloosa
- NOW-DEC 13 Public Charge: Diasporic Immigrant Artists, Paul R. Jones Museum, 2308 6th St., Tuscaloosa
- NOW-DEC 30 Women of the Bible: Lashonda Robinson, Betak-Frangoulis Art Gallery, Canterbury Chapel, Hackberry Lane, Tuscaloosa
- NOW-DEC 31 ‘Of This Goodly Land:’ Celebrating Alabama’s Bicentennial, 1819-2019, Gorgas Library: Pearce Lobby, Williams Collection; Mary Harmon Bryant Hall: Hoole Special Collections, UA campus
- NOW-DEC 31 sprue, sprout, re-route, daisie hoitsma + jason tanner young, Ebsco Gallery, Shelby County Art Center, Columbiana, Ala.
- JAN 9 Opening reception, Cultural Collateral: Selections from the Permanent Collection, Sarah Moody Gallery of Art (JAN 9-FEB 14), 5-7 pm
- NOW-DEC 20, 2019, JAN 2-10 West Alabama Juried Show, Arts Council Gallery, Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center, 620 Greensboro Avenue
- NOW-JAN 17 Stomping Ground: Photographs by Jerry Siegel, The University of Alabama Gallery, DWCAC, Greensboro Ave., Tuscaloosa
- NOW-JAN 17 Kentuck Studio Artists Exhibition, Museum Gallery, Kentuck Art Center, Northport
- NOW-JAN 31 Tuscaloosa Photography Club Fall 2019 Exhibit, West Ala. Easter Seals, 1400 East James I Harrison Jr Pkwy, Tuscaloosa
- NOW-FEB 1Tuscaloosa Bicentennial Exhibit: Bank of the State, Mildred Westervelt Warner Transportation Museum, Tuscaloosa
- FEB 7 First Friday Reception, K12 Outreach Art Exhibition, Paul R. Jones Museum, 6th St., Tuscaloosa (JAN 10-FEB 28), 5:30-7:30 pm
- JAN 21-FEB 9 Annual Junior Double Exposure Juried Photography Exhibit, Bama Theatre’s Junior League Gallery, 600 Greensboro Ave., Tuscaloosa
- FEB 9 Awards Presentation, Annual Junior Double Exposure Juried Photography Exhibit, Bama Theatre’s Junior League Gallery, 600 Greensboro Ave., 2-3 pm
- FEB 27 Opening reception, Renée Stout: In the Parallel Universe, Part 3, Sarah Moody Gallery of Art (FEB 27-APR 10), 5-7 pm
- FEB 28 Digital Media Viewing Event, time and location on Woods Quad TBA
- JAN 10-FEB 28 K-12 Outreach Art Exhibition, Paul R. Jones Museum, 2308 6th St., Tuscaloosa
- MAR 5 Art Night reception, Kentuck Art Center, Northport, 5-8 pm
- MAR 5 Opening reception, MA/MFA Exhibition, Sella-Granata Art Gallery, UA campus (MAR 5-13)
- MAR 6-7 West Alabama Quilters Guild Annual Quilt Show, Taylorville UMC, 640 Bear Creek Rd., Tuscaloosa (MAR 6, 9-5; MAR 7, 9-4)
- MAR 5-13 MA/MFA Exhibition, Sella-Granata Art Gallery, UA campus
- FEB 27-APR 10 Renée Stout: In the Parallel Universe, Part 3, Sarah Moody Gallery of Art
- APR 16 Opening reception, Nasrin Iravani: Master of Fine Arts Thesis Exhibition, Sarah Moody Gallery of Art, (APR 16-MAY 14), 5-7 pm
- MAR 6-APR 20 Selections from the Rebecca and Jack Drake Collection, Paul R. Jones Museum, 2308 6th St., Tuscaloosa
- APR 16-MAY 14 Nasrin Iravani: Master of Fine Arts Thesis Exhibition, Sarah Moody Gallery of Art
Later in 2020
- OCT 2-DEC 11 Charlie Lucas Exhibition, Paul R. Jones Museum, 2308 6th St., Tuscaloosa
- Experience the Monster Takeover and other public sculptures in downtown Tuscaloosa and Northport.
- Stroll through UA’s Woods Quad Sculpture Garden with six outdoor sculptures, plus other sculptures in adjoining campus lawns and four galleries/museums in the heart of campus.
- Here’s the First Friday Gallery Guide: http://www.tuscarts.org/firstfriday_artnight.php
ABOUT THIS CALENDAR
Look for the Art Roundup e-list each week, a service of the UA Department of Art and Art History. We hope to provide a more or less comprehensive list of free exhibits and visual arts events in West Alabama (*and sometimes a wider net, esp. if West Alabama folks are showing), with hyperlinks. Follow the links to get more information. To send your exhibition info, unsubscribe to this email, or to change or add an email address, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
Thank you for supporting ALL of the arts all over West Alabama!
“Gathering West Alabama’s Visual Arts Events since September 2013”