Art Roundup from the UA Dept. of Art and Art History: today is Wednesday, January 5, 2022, and we are in the new year! Three Tuscaloosa galleries will be open First Friday this week January 7 (see below). West Alabama (and beyond) galleries, museums and art events can stay open in 2022 if we are vaccinated, masked and healthy, so please do your part. Events are listed in order of ending date. Thanks to Lorrie Lane (and the city of Tuscaloosa) for the image above. And thank you for continuing to support artists wherever you can.
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2022!
- JAN 5 UA art museum and galleries reopen after winter break (on campus and downtown)
- NOW-JAN 5 10 Years of Bib & Tucker Sew-Op, Georgine Clarke Alabama Artists Gallery, 201 Monroe St Suite 110, Montgomery
- JAN 6 Opening Reception, 2022 Adult Juried Art Exhibit, Shelby County Arts Council, Columbiana, Ala. (JAN 6-FEB 3), 6 pm
JANUARY FIRST FRIDAY (No Art Night)
- JAN 7 First Friday event, “Start Night,” Lorrie Lane Studio, 2420 6th Street, Tuscaloosa, 5-8 pm
- JAN 7 First Friday Event, Fool’s Gold Gallery, 2424 6th Street, Tuscaloosa
- JAN 7 First Friday Jazz Reception, Ringo Lisko: Vessels of Paranoia, Harrison Galleries LLC, 2315 University Boulevard, Tuscaloosa (JAN 7-30)
MORE JANUARY EXHIBITIONS
- NOW-JAN 10 What is a Book? Selections from local Books Arts collections, 7th Floor Gallery, Gorgas Library, UA
- NOW-JAN 12 Three Painters Still Hanging Together (Deborah Hughes, Lorrie Lane, Chris Metzger), UA Medical Center, Tuscaloosa
- JAN 13 Opening reception, Dezzy Moon: Adventurers Welcome, Paperworkers Local, 2717 7th Ave S #203, Birmingham (JAN 13-FEB 19), 5-7 pm
- JAN 15 5th Annual MLK Legacy Artwalk, featured artist Danny Broadway, Cordell Wynn Center, Stillman College, 12noon-3pm
- NOW-JAN 18 True Likeness, Sarah Moody Gallery of Art, Garland Hall, UA
- NOW-JAN 21 Annual West Alabama Juried Show, Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center, Tuscaloosa
- NOW-JAN 27 Studio Artists, Kentuck’s Museum Gallery, Kentuck Art Center, Northport
- NOW-JAN 30 Amy McBroom Exhibition, Kentuck’s Gallery at Hotel Indigo, 111 Greensboro Ave, Tuscaloosa
- JAN 7-30 Ringo Lisko: Vessels of Paranoia, Harrison Galleries LLC, 2315 University Boulevard, Tuscaloosa
- NOW-JAN 31 From the Porch: Jude Weaver, Teer Gallery, Kentuck Art Center
FEBRUARY ART NIGHT & FIRST FRIDAY
- FEB 3 Art Night at Kentuck, Kentuck Art Center, Northport, 5-8 pm
- JAN 6-FEB 3 2022 Adult Juried Art Exhibit, Shelby County Arts Council, Columbiana, Ala.
- FEB 4 First Friday event, Lorrie Lane Studio, 6th Street, Tuscaloosa, 5-8 pm
- FEB 4 First Friday Event, Fool’s Gold Gallery, 2424 6th Street, Tuscaloosa
- FEB 4 First Friday Reception, Shaken By the Roots: Works by Leanna Leithauser-Lesley, University of Alabama Gallery, DWCAC (JAN 12-FEB 25), 5-7 pm
- FEB 4 First Friday Reception, Together for Creativity: A Collaboration with Central Elementary School, Paul R. Jones Museum, 2308 6th St (JAN 12-FEB 25), 5-8 pm
- JAN 13-FEB 19 Dezzy Moon: Adventurers Welcome, Paperworkers Local, 2717 7th Ave S #203, Birmingham
- JAN 12-FEB 25 Shaken By the Roots: Works by Leanna Leithauser-Lesley, University of Alabama Gallery, DWCAC, 620 Greensboro Ave., Tuscaloosa
- JAN 12-FEB 25 Together for Creativity: A Collaboration with Central Elementary School, Paul R. Jones Museum, 2308 6th Street, Tuscaloosa
- NOW-MAR 19 Weaving Muscogee Creek Culture: The Artistry of Mary Smith, Mildred Westervelt Warner Transportation Museum, Tuscaloosa
AREA GALLERIES AND MUSEUMS
- Aaron Sanders Head Studio, 1310 Main Street, Greensboro, Ala., events announced on Facebook
- The Arts Council Gallery, Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center, Tuscaloosa, Mon.-Fri., 1-3 pm, First Fridays 1-7 pm
- Carnegie Visual Arts Center, Decatur, Ala.
- Columbus Arts Council, 501 Main St., Columbus, Miss.
- Fayette Art Museum, 530 Temple Avenue, North, Fayette, Mon.-Fri., 9 am-12 pm and 1 pm-4 pm
- Fool’s Gold Gallery, 2424 6th Street, Tuscaloosa, Tues.-Sat. (or Sunday after game day) 10 am – 6 pm
- Gallery 905, Arts Revive, 3 Church Street, Selma
- Harrison Galleries, 2315 University Blvd., Tuscaloosa
- Kentuck Art Center, 503 Main Avenue, downtown Northport, Mon-Fri: 9:30am-5:30pm; Sat-Sun: 12pm-4pm
- Lorrie Lane Studio, 2420 Sixth St., Tuscaloosa, Mon-Fri, 12 noon-6 pm
- Mildred Westervelt Warner Transportation Museum, 1901 Jack Warner Parkway, Tues.-Sat., 10 am-4:30 pm
- Paperworkers Local printmaking coop, 2717 7th Ave., S., Suite 203, B’ham, Saturdays open studio 11 am-4 pm
- Scott Miller Projects, 2212 Morris Avenue, Ste. 103, Birmingham
- Moundville Archaeological Park Museum, Moundville, Ala., Seven days a week, 9:00 am- 5:00 pm
- Paul R. Jones Museum, Sixth St., Tuscaloosa, Mon.-Fri. 9 am-5 pm and 12-8 pm First Fridays
- Sarah Moody Gallery of Art, 103 Garland Hall, UA campus, Mon.-Fri. 9 am-4:30 pm
- Sella-Granata Art Gallery, Woods Hall, UA campus
- Stephen Smith Fine Art, 5104 Gary Ave., Fairfield, Ala.
- The University of Alabama Gallery, Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center, Tuscaloosa, Mon.-Fri., 9 am-4 pm; First Fridays, noon-7pm
ART ANYTIME – Online Exhibitions Around West Alabama
- Kentuck Art Center’s Online Artist Exhibitions
- An online tour of the Monster Takeover and other public sculptures in downtown Tuscaloosa and Northport.
- Stroll through UA’s Woods Quad Sculpture Garden, the Alabama Biennial and public sculpture throughout UA campus.
- Browse over 250 more Online Exhibitions of UA Art & Art History Exhibitions and Events
- For more art links, visit our Visual Arts Calendars, Venues & Websites page.
ABOUT THIS CALENDAR
Look for the Art Roundup e-list almost every week, a service of the UA Department of Art & Art History. We hope to provide a more or less comprehensive list of free exhibits and visual arts events in West Alabama (*and sometimes a wider net, esp. if West Alabama folks are showing), with hyperlinks. Very occasionally, non-profit events asking for a nominal entry fee or donation will be included. Follow the links to get more information. To send your exhibition info, unsubscribe to this email, or to change or add an email address, please email: email@example.com. Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
Want to know more about events and exhibitions in the UA Department of Art & Art History? Subscribe to our monthly newsletter.
Thank you for supporting ALL of the arts all over West Alabama!
“Gathering West Alabama’s Visual Arts Events since September 2013”