The Husain Abdul Alim and Peter Harris Memorial Travel Award
- Currently enrolled full-time undergraduate student at UA
- Applied to a summer study abroad program via the UA Education Abroad website
- African American and/or other historically underrepresented student in study abroad
- Demonstrated financial need
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Demonstrated leadership and service activities on the UA campus, in the larger Tuscaloosa community, or in the student’s hometown (a résumé documenting such activities would be acceptable)
- Preference for students applying to study abroad in the Middle East, Asia or Africa
- Completed scholarship application: Link
- Résumé demonstrating leadership and service activities at UA or in the larger Tuscaloosa community
- 500-word essay on the following prompt: Encountering a new country and culture can lead to a clash of the familiar and the unfamiliar, the innocent and the insulting. As a new traveler to a foreign country, what strategies can you employ that will ensure that you do not insult your host country, its people and its culture?
Award Amounts: $4,000 – $5,000 for the study abroad experience.
Deadline and Timelines: Application will open December 1, 2022, and the deadline is March 20, 2023.
Notification of Award: All students will be notified via email about the outcome of the scholarship award no later than three weeks after the close of the application.