- MFA, Printmaking, The University of Alabama, 2019
- BFA, Printmaking, University of South Alabama, 2015
John Klosterman is a full-time instructor in drawing and foundations. A native of Daphne, Ala., he grew up with a fondness for machines and the tinkering that came along with them. His love of tinkering now takes on a two-dimensional form as he transfers ink to paper. Instead of the turn of a wrench, it is now the carving of a block with a gouge. Layers of each print, much like parts of a car, are assembled in a manner that creates a functioning vehicle for the message of each piece.
Klosterman was artist in residence at the Hope Center for Arts and Technology, Inc., (known as HopeCAT) in Sharon, Penn. during the summer of 2020. He has had a solo exhibition of his prints at Coastal Alabama Community College in Monroeville, Ala. Most recently he had prints juried into 1st Edition Online Printmaking Exhibition, in Kala Bhavana, Santiniketan, India, and the 40th Annual National Print Exhibition at the Artlink Contemporary Gallery in Fort Wayne, Indiana. He presented his master of fine arts thesis exhibition in the Sella-Granata Art Gallery in 2019.
in 2021, Klosterman was also one of only five artists selected for the juried exhibition, Contemporary Print: 5×5, sponsored by PrintAustin and Big Medium, and held in conjunction with the annual artist festival PrintAustin 2021, based in Austin, Texas. As part of being selected, Klosterman was featured on Studio Noize Podcast with host and fellow printmaker Jamaal Barber. Click here to read more, or listen below:
In the video below, Klosterman talks about his art practice:
- Contemporary Print: 5×5, in conjunction with PrintAustin 2021, Austin, Texas (juried)
- Printmaking from the Edge, The Art Center, Dover, New Hampshire (juried)
- Studio Art Instructors’ Exhibition, Sella-Granata Art Gallery, The University of Alabama
- 1st Edition Online Printmaking Exhibition, Printmakers.016, Kala Bhavana, Santiniketan, India (juried)
- 40th Annual National Print Exhibition, Artlink Contemporary Gallery, Fort Wayne, Indiana (juried)
- John Klosterman (solo exhibition), Coastal Alabama Community College in Monroeville, Ala. (September 2019)
- Ink Only II – PaperWorkers Local Juried Biennial, UAB Project Space, Birmingham, Ala. (September 2019)
- Grace Aberdean Featured Artist Showcase, Grace Aberdean Habitat Alchemy, Tuscaloosa, Ala. (May 2019)
- Manifestations: Master of Fine Arts Thesis Exhibition, Sella-Granata Art Gallery, The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Ala. (March 21-28, 2019)
- Fall Salon (Group Show Invitational), Paperworkers Local, Birmingham, Ala. (November 2018)
- Master of Arts Exhibition, Sella-Granata Art Gallery, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Ala. (February 2018)
- Nine, Eichold Gallery, Spring Hill College, Mobile, Ala. (Feb.-Apr., 2018)
- 2018 Annual Graduate Student Exhibition, Sella-Granata Art Gallery, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
- Hot-N-Ready Print Portfolio Exchange, Foster Art Gallery, Westminster College, New Wilmington, Penn.
- PrintSpace, Wichita State University, Kan.
- A.D. Gallery, University of North Carolina at Pembroke, Pembroke, N.C.
- 2017 Annual Graduate Student Exhibition, Sella-Granata Art Gallery, Tuscaloosa, Ala.