- MFA, Michigan State University, 2014
Wade Folger MacDonald was appointed assistant professor of art in The University of Alabama’s department of art and art history in 2019. MacDonald has been an instructor of ceramics and studio foundations courses in the department since 2015. A Nashville native, he received the BA in art education from Western Michigan University and the MFA in studio art with a concentration in ceramics from Michigan State University.
As a ceramic sculptor, MacDonald explores the intersection of ceramics, digital fabrication, furniture design and architecture. He and his work have been profiled in American Craft Magazine (August/September 2018) and in 2018, he received the National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts (NCECA) Emerging Artist Award. The award recognizes exceptional early career artists and helps promote their work internationally for the year.
MacDonald has exhibited nationally including juried exhibitions at the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design, Milwaukee, Wis.; Kennedy Museum of Art, Ohio University, in Athens, Ohio; Urban Institute of Contemporary Arts, Grand Rapids, Mich.; Clay Center of New Orleans and the NCECA Emerging Artists Exhibition, David L. Lawrence Convention Center, Pittsburgh. MacDonald has participated in invitational exhibitions at The Clay Studio, Philadelphia; Gertrude Herbert Institute of Art, Augusta, Ga. and numerous others. He had a solo exhibition at the University of Montevallo, Montevallo, Ala. and was included in Dirt X Digital Ceramics Invitational, at Lee Gallery, Clemson University in South Carolina.
MacDonald has held artist residencies at Anderson Ranch Art Center, in Snowmass, Colo.; Banff Centre, in Banff, Alberta; and the Red Lodge Clay Center in Red Lodge, Mt. He has been a visiting artist at the Department of Art and Art History with the Department of Architecture at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City and at the Department of Craft and Material Studies, Virginia Commonwealth University. MacDonald received the Stanley and Selma Hollander Graduate Fellowship in Studio Art, the Varg-Sullivan Award for Distinguished Research and the John and Susan Berding Family Foundation Endowment Juried MFA Prize. He has given numerous artist lectures, talks, workshops and demonstrations including the NCECA Emerging Artist Lecture in Pittsburgh; Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, Kalamazoo, Mich. and the Bunting Biennial Ceramics Symposium, Birmingham Museum of Art, in Alabama.
Recent & Forthcoming Exhibitions
- 2020 28th Annual Strictly Functional Pottery National (SFPN) (juried)
- 2020 10th Annual Clay International, Workhouse Art Center, Lorton, Va. (juried)
- 2020 The Clay Studio National 2020, Philadelphia, Penn. (juried)
- 2020 ETERNAL, Wade F. MacDonald and Jason Hackett, Shockoe Art Space, NCECA Conference, Richmond, Va. (two-person)
- 2019 Presentation: “Convention v Invention: Digital Approaches, Inter- and Post-disciplinary Movements in Ceramics,” SECAC, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- 2019 The Cup, The Mug, Mainstreet Arts, Clifton Springs, N.Y. (juried)
- 2019 LUSH: A Contemporary Ceramics Exhibition, Lighthouse ArtCenter, Palm Beach, Fla. (juried)
- 2019 Shadowtime, Bloch Hall Gallery, Department of Art, University of Montevallo, Montevallo, Ala. (solo exhibition)
- 2019 Dirt X Digital Ceramics Invitational, Lee Gallery, Clemson University, Clemson, S.C. (group invitational)
- 2019 Faculty Biennial, Sarah Moody Gallery of Art, The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Ala. (group invitational)
- 2019 Mentor/Mentee Exhibition, Alabama Clay Conference, Jacksonville State University, Jacksonville, Ala. (group invitational)
- 2019 Small Favors, The Clay Studio, Philadelphia, Penn. (group invitational)
- 2019 32nd Annual Materials: Hard & Soft, International Craft Competition and Exhibition, Juror: Janet McCall, Patterson-Appleton Arts Center, Denton, Texas (juried)
- 2018 Sculpted and Small, Juror: William DePauw, Clay Center of New Orleans, New Orleans, La. (juried)
- 2018 Workhouse Clay International, Juror: Eva Kwong, Workhouse Art Center, Lorton, Va. (juried, second place award)
- 2018 Small Favors, The Clay Studio, Philadelphia, Penn. (group invitational)
- 2018 NCECA Emerging Artists Exhibition, David L. Lawrence Convention Center, Pittsburgh, Penn. (group invitational)
- 2018 Parallel/Collision (Organizer) NCECA Conference, Pittsburgh, Penn.
- 2018 Mentor/Mentee Exhibition, Alabama Clay Conference, Montgomery, Ala. (group invitational)
- 2018 TACTIC III, Gertrude Herbert Institute of Art, Augusta, Ga. (group invitational)