Art Roundup from the UA Dept. of Art and Art History: today is Wednesday, June 15, 2022. Lots of Juneteenth National Independence Day activities all over West Alabama this week and weekend! Events are listed in order of ending date. Thanks to UA’s Intercultural Diversity Center for the image above. And thank you for continuing to support artists wherever you can. Subscribe here and forward this list to a friend!
- JUN 16 Artist Talk by Tony Bingham on “Down by the Riverside,” part of FLOW at the Paul R. Jones Museum, 3-4 p.m.
- JUN 16 Opening, The March Quilts: A Celebration of Art & Activism, Coleman Center for the Arts, Pop Start Community Space, 211 Broad St., York (JUN 16-AUG 25), 5:45 pm
- JUN 18 Saturday Art Market, Kentuck Art Center, 503 Main Avenue Northport, 9:30 am-2:00 pm
- JUN 18 Juneteenth Celebration with Coleman Center for the Arts, York Day 2022, Cherokee Park, York, Ala., 12 noon-5pm
- JUN 18 Opening, The March Quilts: A Celebration of Art & Activism, Pickensville Rosenwald School, Pickensville, Ala., 1-4 pm
- JUN 19 Juneteenth National Independence Day
- JUN 19 Tuscaloosa Black Heritage Festival, Snow Hinton Park, Tuscaloosa
- NOW-JUN 25 Exquisite Disorientation: Sarah Marshall, Wiregrass Museum of Art, Dothan
- NOW-JUN 25 Sara Bowen: The Witch Doctor’s Chapel, Wiregrass Museum of Art, Dothan
- NOW-JUN 25 Tara Stallworth Lee: slowly, please: cheoncheonhi hae juseyo, Tennessee Valley Museum of Art, Tuscumbia
- NOW-JUN 25 Helen Keller Art Show of Alabama, Tennessee Valley Museum of Art, Tuscumbia
- NOW-JUN 30 Natural Perspectives: Inside the Delightfully Twisted World of Colton Dion and Highlights from the Helen Shapiro Collage Collection, Walls for Wellness, UA Medical Center, 850 Peter Bryce Blvd, Tuscaloosa
- NOW-JUN 30 Juneteenth: Freedom Day Exhibition, Intercultural Diversity Center, 2100 Student Center, UA, M-F, 8 am-5 pm
- NOW-JUN 30 Liza Butts, Friends and Plaza Galleries, Hoover Public Library, Hoover, Ala.
- NOW-JUN TBA Swimming Together Exhibition, Mildred Westervelt Warner Transportation Museum
- NOW-JUN 30 Photographs by Jim Morris, Harrison Galleries, 2315 Univ. Blvd., Tuscaloosa
- JUL 1 No First Friday Art Walk in Tuscaloosa in July
- NOW-JUL 4 Jim Shores, Museum Gallery, Kentuck Art Center, Northport
JULY ART NIGHT
- JUL 7 Art Night Opening, Debra Riffe, Museum Gallery, Kentuck Art Center, Northport (JUL 7-AUG 1)
JULY EXHIBITIONS & MORE…
- JUL 21 Exhibition opens, In and Outside the Book: Puppets and Poetry, works by Mary Ann Sampson, Wiregrass Museum of Art, Dothan (JUL 21-DEC 31)
- JUL 22 Exhibition opens, B22: Wiregrass Biennial, Wiregrass Museum of Art, Dothan (JUL 22-SEP 24)
- NOW-JUL 23 DRUNK by Maegan Hill-Carroll, Vinegar, 701 37th Street, South, Birmingham
- NOW-JUL 27 FLOW: Boo Gilder & Michi Meko, UA Gallery, DWCAC, 620 Greensboro Ave, Tuscaloosa
- NOW-JUL 27 FLOW: Tony Bingham & Kelly Taylor Mitchell, Paul R. Jones Museum, 6th St., Tuscaloosa
- NOW-JUL 29 Unrealism: Jason Guynes, The Arts Council Gallery, Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center, 620 Greensboro Ave., Tuscaloosa
- NOW-JUL 30 Helga Mendoza: Novena a Lo Sagrado, Paperworkers Local, 2717 7th Ave S #203, Birmingham (Saturdays, 11-4)
- JUL 7-AUG 1 Debra Riffe, Museum Gallery, Kentuck Art Center, Northport
- NOW-AUG 1 Silver Francis, Kentuck’s Gallery at Hotel Indigo, downtown Tuscaloosa
- NOW-AUG 4 Paintings by Lorrie Lane and Liz Lane, Johnson Center for the Arts, 300 East Walnut St., Troy, Alabama
- NOW-AUG 12 2022 Alabama Triennial, Abroms-Engel Institute for the Visual Arts, Birmingham
- JUN 18-AUG 20 The March Quilts: A Celebration of Art & Activism, Pickensville Rosenwald School, Pickensville, Ala., Tues., Wed., Sat., 1-4 pm
- JUN 16-AUG 25 The March Quilts: A Celebration of Art & Activism, Coleman Center for the Arts, Pop Start Community Space, York, by appt. only (205.392.2005)
- NOW-AUG 26 “other icons”: CE Johnson Art Exhibition, Altman Riddick Gallery, Coleman Center for the Arts, 630 Avenue A, York, Alabama
- JUL 22-SEP 24 B22: Wiregrass Biennial, Wiregrass Museum of Art, Dothan
- SEP 24-25 Black Belt Biennial, downtown Greensboro, Ala.
- OCT 2 5th Street Vintage Market, Northport Farmers Market 4150 5th St., 10am-3pm
- OCT 15-16 51st Kentuck Festival of the Arts, Kentuck Park, Northport
- NOV 6 5th Street Vintage Market, Northport Farmers Market 4150 5th St., 10am-3pm
- DEC 4 5th Street Vintage Market, Northport Farmers Market 4150 5th St., 10am-3pm
AREA GALLERIES AND MUSEUMS
- Aaron Sanders Head Studio, 1310 Main Street, Greensboro, Ala., events announced on Facebook
- The Arts Council Gallery, Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center, Tuscaloosa, Mon.-Fri., 1-3 pm, First Fridays 1-7 pm
- Carnegie Visual Arts Center, Decatur, Ala.
- Coleman Center for the Arts, 630 Avenue A, York, Ala.
- Columbus Arts Council, 501 Main St., Columbus, Miss.
- Fayette Art Museum, 530 Temple Avenue, North, Fayette, Mon.-Fri., 9 am-12 pm and 1 pm-4 pm
- Fool’s Gold Gallery, 2424 6th Street, Tuscaloosa, Tues.-Sat., 12 noon – 8 pm (check the link)
- Gallery 905, Arts Revive, 3 Church Street, Selma
- Gallery VOX, 1623 Pinson Street, Tarrant City, Ala.
- Ground Floor Contemporary, 111 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. S., Birmingham, Sat. 1-4 pm
- Harrison Galleries, 2315 University Blvd., Tuscaloosa
- Hoover Public Library Galleries, 200 Municipal Drive, Hoover, Ala. (check the website for locations and hours)
- Johnson Center for the Arts, 300 East Walnut, Troy, Ala., Mon-Fri: 10 am – 5 pm
- Kentuck Art Center, 503 Main Avenue, downtown Northport, Mon-Fri: 9:30 am-5:30 pm; Sat-Sun: 12 pm-4 pm (Museum Gallery, Teer Gallery, Kentuck at Indigo, Art Night)
- Lorrie Lane Studio, 2420 Sixth St., Tuscaloosa, Mon-Fri, 12 noon-6 pm
- Mildred Westervelt Warner Transportation Museum, 1901 Jack Warner Parkway, Tues.-Sat., 10 am-4:30 pm
- Moundville Archaeological Park Museum, Moundville, Ala., Seven days a week, 9:00 am- 5:00 pm
- Paperworkers Local printmaking coop and gallery, 2717 7th Ave., S., Suite 203, B’ham, Sat. 11 am-4 pm
- Paul R. Jones Museum, Sixth St., Tuscaloosa, Mon.-Fri. 9 am-5 pm and 12-8 pm First Fridays
- Paul W. Bryant Museum, 300 Bryant Drive, Tuscaloosa, Tues.-Sun., 9 am-4 pm
- Sarah Moody Gallery of Art, 103 Garland Hall, UA campus, Mon.-Fri. 9 am-4:30 pm
- Scott Miller Projects, 2212 Morris Avenue, Ste. 103, Birmingham
- Sella-Granata Art Gallery, check hours on our website, Woods Hall, UA campus
- SunHeart Metalworks Studio & Sculpture Garden, 802 Nick’s Kids Ave., Northport, First Sat. 9 am- 1 pm and other times by chance or appointment
- Stephen Smith Fine Art, 5104 Gary Ave., Fairfield, Alabama
- Tennessee Valley Museum of Art, Tuscumbia
- The University of Alabama Gallery, Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center, Tuscaloosa, Mon.-Fri., 9 am-4 pm; First Fridays, noon-7 pm
- Vinegar, 701 37th Street, South, Birmingham: 10 am–2 pm on Saturdays, and by appointment
- Walker County Arts Alliance, Jasper, Alabama
- Wiregrass Museum of Art, Dothan, Alabama
ART ANYTIME – Online Exhibitions Around West Alabama
- Kentuck Art Center’s Online Artist Exhibitions
- An online tour of the Monster Takeover and other public sculptures in downtown Tuscaloosa and Northport.
- Stroll through UA’s Woods Quad Sculpture Garden, the Alabama Biennial and public sculpture throughout UA campus.
- Browse over 250 more Online Exhibitions of UA Art & Art History Exhibitions and Events
- For more art links, visit our Visual Arts Calendars, Venues & Websites page.
ABOUT THIS CALENDAR
Look for the Art Roundup e-list almost every week, a service of the UA Department of Art & Art History. We hope to provide a more or less comprehensive list of free exhibits and visual arts events in West Alabama (*and sometimes a wider net, esp. if West Alabama folks are showing), with hyperlinks. Very occasionally, non-profit events asking for a nominal entry fee or donation will be included. Follow the links to get more information. To send your exhibition info, unsubscribe to this email, or to change or add an email address, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
Want to know more about events and exhibitions in the UA Department of Art & Art History? Subscribe to our monthly newsletter.
Thank you for supporting ALL of the arts all over West Alabama!
“Gathering West Alabama’s Visual Arts Events since September 2013”