- MFA, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1999
- BFA, Florida International University, 1997
Craig Wedderspoon came to The University of Alabama as a temporary instructor in 1999 and joined the full-time art faculty in 2000. His work has been included in group exhibitions at Dorsch Gallery, Miami, FL; Kim Foster Gallery, New York, NY; Sanat Yapin Gallery, Ankara, Turkey; Suzhou Institute Gallery, Suzahou, People’s Republic of China; Southern Illinois University Museum, Carbondale, IL; and University of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN. He was a 2013 Alabama State Council on the Arts Visual Arts Fellowship Recipient.
Professor Wedderspoon’s work focuses on the examination of the intrigue of process and the potential of material to communicate thought in the expression of visual philosophy. Originally trained as a glass and crystal carver, Wedderspoon now specializes in metal and wood fabrication and works in a variety of scales for both indoor and outdoor, permanent and temporary installations and exhibitions. His creative research interests include projects geared towards community service and outreach in the West Alabama area.
Wedderspoon’s sculpture is installed in the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts new Caddell Sculpture Garden:
Exhibition & Project News
- UA Sculpture To Collaborate With UAB and UAH on New Art Trail
Professor Wedderspoon is one of three inaugural recipients of the new McMahon-Pleiad Prize, given by the Board of Trustees of The University of Alabama System.
- UA Art Foundry Casts Sculpture Across Alabama
An overview of the projects, supervised by Craig Wedderspoon, that have been created in the giant work bays at UA’s art foundry.
- UA Sophomores Sculpt Steel Flowers for Monnish Park
- Innovative Bike Rack Design Duo Strike Again
- UA Art and Art History Students Create City Bike Racks
- UA Sculptures Break 3-Year Auction Record for Children’s of Alabama
Media and Exhibitions
- Caddell Sculpture Garden, Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts, opening September 2018
- The Bascom Outdoor Sculpture Invitational, Highlands, NC, May 23, 2015 – January 2016
- Birmingham Museum of Art, Dec. 2013 – Feb. 2015
- Photo gallery: getting ready for the BMA show
- ASCA interview with Craig Wedderspoon
- “UA’s Craig Wedderspoon has unexpected take on sculpture and life,” Tuscaloosa News
- “Sculpture Resurfaces After Carried by Tornado,” Indian River Magazine