Art Roundup from the UA Dept. of Art and Art History: today is Wednesday, April 19, 2023. Think “A-Day” has something to do with sports 🏈 in this town? 😂😍 With some of the most creative and productive artists 🎨 ❤️ working in West Alabama, how could “A-Day” mean anything except “ART-DAY”?! Thanks to Bethany Windham Engle for the image above, and thanks to everyone for continuing to support artists wherever you can. Events are listed in order of ending date. Subscribe here and forward this list to a friend!
ARTIST CALLS FOR ENTRY
- NOW-JUN 1: Artist applications for the 52nd Kentuck Festival of the Arts, October 14-15, 2023, Northport
- More artist opportunities on this page.
- APR 19 Closing reception, “Miriam Omura: Someone Other Than Myself,” Art Lab (Humanities Building 100), UAB, 4:30-6 pm (artist talk abt. 5:45 pm)
- APR 20 Opening reception, Paintings by Bethany Windham Engle and Eve W. Engle, 5 & Dime, 201 Broad Street, Selma, 5-7 pm
- APR 20 Exhibition opening and artist talk, Bakara Johnson, A Portrait of Henrietta Lacks, Pop Start Community Space, York, Ala, 6-7:30 pm.
- APR 21 Reception, PANTONE 201: The University of Alabama 2023 BFA Graphic Design Senior Thesis Show, Sella-Granata Art Gallery, Woods Hall (APR 20-25), 4-6 pm
- NOW-APR 21 ASFA Visual Arts Senior Exhibit: When Life Gives You Lemons, Vulcan Materials Gallery, ASFA, 1800 Rev. Abraham Woods Jr. Blvd., Birmingham
- APR 22 Artist Talk, The Begonia – Annual Full-Building Exhibition and Open Studios, Ground Floor Contemporary, Birmingham (APR 6-22), 3 pm
- APR 24 Exhibition opens, Spring 2023 Student Art Exhibition, Martin Campus Cadence Bank Art Gallery, Shelton State Community College, 9500 Old Greensboro Road, Tuscaloosa (APR 24-TBA)
- APR 20-25 PANTONE 201: The University of Alabama 2023 BFA Graphic Design Senior Thesis Show, Sella-Granata Art Gallery, Woods Hall
- NOW-APR 28 Michael C. Thorpe: Nonsensical Formalism, Paul R. Jones Museum, 6th St., Tuscaloosa
- NOW-APR 28 Darkness Into Life Exhibit, Intercultural Diversity Center, 2100 Student Center, UA
- NOW-APR 29 Studio Art Seniors Exhibition, Samford University Art Gallery, Birmingham
- NOW-APR 30 Southern Fiber Artists, Columbus Arts Council, 501 Main St., Columbus, Miss.
- NOW-MAY 3 Coulter Fussell: My Love for You is Deathless, Sarah Moody Gallery of Art, UA
MAY ART NIGHT & FIRST FRIDAY & FIRST SATURDAY
- MAY 4 Art Night, Kentuck Art Center, Northport, Ala., 5-8 pm
- MAY 5 First Friday Art Walk, downtown Tuscaloosa, 5-9 pm
- MAY 5 First Friday event, Molly Lay: An Act of Attention, MFA Thesis Exhibition, The University of Alabama Gallery, DWCAC, 620 Greensboro Avenue, Tuscaloosa (APR 7-MAY 5), 5-7 pm
- MAY 5 First Friday event, Junior League of Tuscaloosa “Sustainer Exhibit,” The Arts Council Gallery, Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center, 620 Greensboro Ave., Tuscaloosa (APR 7-MAY 24), 5-7 pm
- MAY 5 First Friday event, Lorrie Lane Studio, 2420 Sixth Street, Tuscaloosa, 5-8 pm
- MAY 5 First Friday jazz reception, Verner Elementary Art Show (PreK-5th grade), Harrison Galleries, 2315 Univ. Blvd., Tuscaloosa, 6-9 pm
- MAY 6 First Saturday Art in the Garden, SunHeart Metalworks Studio & Sculpture Garden, 802 Nick’s Kids (28th) Ave., Northport, 8 am-12 noon
MAY EXHIBITIONS AND MORE…
- NOW-MAY 5 Annual Graphics and Fine Arts Student Juried Exhibition, Casteel Gallery, Meridian Community College, Meridian, Mississippi
- NOW-MAY 5 Molly Lay: An Act of Attention, MFA Thesis Exhibition, The University of Alabama Gallery, DWCAC, 620 Greensboro Avenue, Tuscaloosa
- MAY 3-6 2023 BFA Studio Art Senior Thesis Show, Sella-Granata Art Gallery, Woods Hall, UA
- MAY 20 Kentuck’s Saturday Art Market, Kentuck Art Center, Northport 9:30 am-2 pm
- MAY 20 York Art Walk, Broad Street & Avenue A, York, AL,10 am-3 pm
- MAY 21 Reception, Paintings by Bethany Windham Engle, Greensboro Opera House, 1215 Main Street, Greensboro, 3-5 pm
- NOW-MAY 24 Junior League of Tuscaloosa “Sustainer Exhibit,” The Arts Council Gallery, Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center, 620 Greensboro Ave., Tuscaloosa
- NOW-MAY TBA “holy / land: creative encounters with biblical botany,” Poets and Painters Exhibition, Betak-Frangoulis Gallery, Canterbury Chapel, Hackberry Lane, Tuscaloosa
- JUN 26-30 UA Art Camp for rising 9th-12 graders, historic Woods Hall, registration open now!
- JUN 17 Kentuck’s Saturday Art Market, Kentuck Art Center, Northport 9:30 am-2 pm
- JUN 17 York Art Walk, Broad Street & Avenue A, York, AL,10 am-3 pm
- NOW-JUN 30 Intersecting Circles of Friends, Wellness Walls for Art Exhibition, University Medical Center, 850 Peter Bryce Drive, Tuscaloosa
- JUN 1-30 Joseph MacGown Painting and Pottery, 501 Main St., Columbus Arts Council, Columbus, Miss.
- JUL 15 York Art Walk, Broad Street & Avenue A, York, AL,10 am-3 pm
- JUL 1-31 Lorrie Lane and Andre Ray, 501 Main St., Columbus Arts Council, Columbus, Miss.
- AUG 19 York Art Walk, Broad Street & Avenue A, York, AL,10 am-3 pm
- SEP 16 York Art Walk, Broad Street & Avenue A, York, AL,10 am-3 pm
- OCT 14-15 52nd Kentuck Festival of the Arts, Northport, APPLY NOW through June 1
- OCT 21 York Art Walk, Broad Street & Avenue A, York, AL,10 am-3 pm
AREA GALLERIES AND MUSEUMS
- Aaron Sanders Head Studio, 1310 Main Street, Greensboro, Ala., events announced on Facebook
- Abroms-Engel Institute for the Visual Arts (AEIVA), 1221 10th Ave S. (UAB), Birmingham
- The Arts Council Gallery, Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center, Tuscaloosa, Mon.-Fri., 1-3 pm, First Fridays 1-7 pm
- Bells Gallery, 1861 Main St., Ste. #1, Dothan, Hours: Thurs.-Fri., 11 am-6 pm, Sat. 10 am-2 pm
- Carnegie Visual Arts Center, Decatur, Ala.
- Casteel Gallery (formerly Miller Art Gallery), Ivy-Scaggs Hall, Meridian (Mississippi) Community College, Mon.-Thurs., 10 am-4 pm
- Coleman Center for the Arts, 630 Avenue A, York, Ala.
- Columbus Arts Council, 501 Main St., Columbus, Miss.
- Fayette Art Museum, 530 Temple Avenue, North, Fayette, Mon.-Fri., 9 am-12 pm and 1 pm-4 pm
- Elaine Bailey Augustine Art Gallery, 615 N. Pine St., Florence (UNA campus)
- Gallery at 126, 126 West Tombigbee Street, Florence, Ala.
- Gallery 905, Arts Revive, 3 Church Street, Selma
- Gallery VOX, 1623 Pinson Street, Tarrant City, Ala.
- Ground Floor Contemporary, 111 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. S., Birmingham, Sat. 1-4 pm, and First Thursdays, 5-7 pm
- Harrison Galleries, 2315 University Blvd., Tuscaloosa
- Hoover Public Library Galleries, 200 Municipal Drive, Hoover, Ala. (check the website for locations and hours)
- Intercultural Diversity Center exhibition space, UA campus
- Johnson Center for the Arts, 300 East Walnut, Troy, Ala., Mon-Fri: 10 am – 5 pm
- Kentuck Art Center, 503 Main Avenue, downtown Northport, Mon-Fri: 9:30 am-5:30 pm; Sat-Sun: 12 pm-4 pm (Museum Gallery, Teer Gallery, Kentuck at Indigo, Art Night)
- Lorrie Lane Studio, 2420 Sixth St., Tuscaloosa, Mon-Fri, 12 noon-6 pm
- Meridian Museum of Art, 628 25th Ave., Meridian, Mississippi, Tues.-Sat., 11 am-4 pm
- Mildred Westervelt Warner Transportation Museum, 1901 Jack Warner Parkway, Tues.-Sat., 10 am-4:30 pm
- Moundville Archaeological Park Museum, Moundville, Ala., Seven days a week, 9:00 am- 5:00 pm
- Paperworkers Local printmaking coop and gallery, 2717 7th Ave., S., Suite 203, B’ham, Sat. 11 am-4 pm
- Paul R. Jones Museum, 2308 Sixth St., Tuscaloosa, Mon.-Fri. 9 am-5 pm and 12-8 pm First Fridays
- Paul W. Bryant Museum, 300 Bryant Drive, Tuscaloosa, Tues.-Sun., 9 am-4 pm
- Sarah Moody Gallery of Art, 103 Garland Hall, UA campus, Mon.-Fri. 9 am-4:30 pm
- Scott Miller Projects, 2212 Morris Avenue, Ste. 103, Birmingham
- Sella-Granata Art Gallery, check hours on the website, 109 Woods Hall, UA campus
- Sunheart Metalworks Studio & Sculpture Garden, 802 Nick’s Kids (28th) Ave., Northport, First Sat. 8 am- 12 noon and other times by chance or appointment
- Stephen Smith Fine Art, 5104 Gary Ave., Fairfield, Alabama
- Tennessee Valley Museum of Art, Tuscumbia
- The University of Alabama Gallery, Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center, Tuscaloosa, Mon.-Fri., 9 am-4 pm; First Fridays, noon-7 pm
- University Medical Center Exhibitions: Wellness Walls for Art, 850 Peter Bryce Blvd, Tuscaloosa, M-F, 8 am-5 pm
- Vinegar, 701 37th Street, South, Birmingham: 10 am–2 pm on Saturdays, and by appointment
- Walker County Arts Alliance, 1411 Indiana Ave., Jasper: Mon., Tues., Thurs., Fri., 10 am-3 pm
- Wiregrass Museum of Art, Dothan, Alabama, W-F 10 am-5 pm, Sat. 10 am- 3 pm, +check website
ART ANYTIME – Online Exhibitions Around West Alabama
- Kentuck Art Center’s Online Artist Exhibitions
- An online tour of the Monster Takeover and other public sculptures in downtown Tuscaloosa and Northport.
- Stroll through UA’s Woods Quad Sculpture Garden, the Alabama Biennial and public sculpture throughout UA campus.
- Browse over 250 more Online Exhibitions of UA Art & Art History Exhibitions and Events
- For more art links, visit our Visual Arts Calendars, Venues & Websites page.
ABOUT THIS CALENDAR
Look for the Art Roundup e-list almost every week, a service of the UA Department of Art & Art History. We hope to provide a more or less comprehensive list of free exhibits and visual arts events in West Alabama (*and sometimes a wider net, esp. if West Alabama folks are showing), with hyperlinks. Very occasionally, non-profit events asking for a nominal entry fee or donation will be included. Follow the links to get more information. To send your exhibition info, unsubscribe to this email, or to change or add an email address, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
Want to know more about events and exhibitions in the UA Department of Art & Art History? Subscribe to our monthly newsletter.
Thank you for supporting ALL of the arts all over West Alabama!
“Gathering West Alabama’s Visual Arts Events since September 2013”