- MFA, University of South Carolina, 1980
Prior to joining the Department of Art and Art History in 1988, Professor Dooley served as Assistant Curator of Exhibitions at Knight Gallery, Spirit Square Center for the Arts in Charlotte, North Carolina.
As director of the Sarah Moody Gallery of Art, Dooley programs and curates a schedule of changing exhibitions which features internationally acclaimed artists such Gregory Amenoff, Ida Applebroog, Chakaia Booker, Mel Chin, William Christenberry, Cora Cohen, Jack Earl, Vernon Fisher, Cheryl Goldsleger, Pinckney Herbert, Jasper Johns, Mel Kendrick, Lee Krasner, Sally Mann, Ed McGowin, Julie Mehretu, Elizabeth Murray, John Newman, Robert Rauschenberg, Tony Scherman, Joyce Scott, Beverly Semmes, Laurie Simmons, Fred Stonehouse, Jerry Uelsmann, Carrie Mae Weems, Jil Weinstock and Thornton Willis. He presides over the gallery’s Permanent Collection that contains about 1,000 pieces devoted to modern and contemporary art.
Dooley teaches in the media area of Drawing. He also offers an advanced undergraduate course on art museum practices. He served as the department chair from 1998 to 2008. As gallery director and longtime consultant for Rural Studio, an outreach architectural program for Auburn University located in Hale County, Ala., Dooley brings expertise in curatorial, artistic and museum practices to his teaching.
Dooley’s studio research in painting and drawing explores the effects of compression and concentration, of pigment, line, form and other elements, including the visual assertiveness wielded by a small artwork, a force often many times larger than its object reality. His artwork has been included in numerous regional and national juried exhibitions.
Recent Selected Exhibitions & News
- 8th Annual National Juried Exhibition, Carroll Gallery, Visual Arts Center, Marshall University, Huntington, W.V.
- 45th Annual Bi-State Art Competition, Meridian Museum of Art, Meridian, Miss. (Merit Award)
- 33rd Annual Positive/Negative National Juried Art Exhibition, Slocumb Galleries, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City
- North + South of the River, Alabama Center for the Arts, Decatur, Ala.
- 55th Annual National Juried Competition, The Masur Museum of Art, Monroe, La.
- 2018 National Juried Exhibition, First Street Gallery, New York, N.Y.
- 44th Annual Bi-State Art Competition, Meridian Museum of Art, Meridian, Miss.
- Wiregrass Biennial Regional Juried Exhibition, Wiregrass Museum of Art, Dothan, Ala.
- Art of the State, juried exhibition, Tennessee Valley Museum of Art, Tuscumbia, Ala.
- Two Pocketfuls: Selected Works by Bryce Speed and William T. Dooley, Gadsden Art Museum, Gadsden, Ala.
- Untitled (Composition with Oxbow) acquired by the Paul R. Jones Collection of American Art
- 28th Northern National Art Competition, Nicolet College Art Gallery, Rhinelander, Wis.
- A Sense of Place National Juried Exhibition, Gertrude Herbert Art Institute, Augusta, Ga.
- 42nd Annual Bi-State Art Juried Competition, Meridian Museum of Art, Meridian, Miss.
- 41st Montgomery Art Guild Museum Exhibition, Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts, Ala.
- Louisiana Biennial: National Juried Exhibition, School of Design, Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, La.
- 52nd Masur Juried Competition, Masur Museum, Monroe, La.
Recent Exhibitions Curated
- 2017-2018 Faculty Biennial Exhibition, Department of Art and Art History
- Tracery and Plane: Paintings by Robert Kushner
- We Are Selma: The Selma Portrait Project by Kathryn Mayo
- Contemporary Consolidated: Selections from the Permanent Collection, (SMGA and UA Art Gallery, Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center)
- Echoes along the Syrian Border: Family Archeology and the Sound of Distant Gunfire: Works by James Emmette Neel
- Mel Kendrick: Woodblock Prints
- Rural Studio: Alabama Design | Build Projects, organized by Andrew Freear
- Pinkney Herbert Distilled – The Narrative Transformed, organized by Ewing Gallery
- Laurie Simmons: Two Boys and The Love Doll, organized by Contemporary Art Museum, St. Louis, Mo.
- In This House: Selections from the Permanent Collection
- Saturated: Selections from the Permanent Collection
- Joyce J. Scott: Truths and Visions, organized by Museum of Contemporary Art, Cleveland
- Russ Warren: Works 1971 – 2015, organized with Les Yeux du Monde, Charlottesville, Va.
- Juvenile-in-Justice: Photographs by Richard Ross
- From the Alabama Oval: Paintings by Richmond Burton
- Ansel Adams: Portfolios I and II (from the SMGA Permanent Collection), Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts, Montgomery, Ala.
- William and Sara Hall Collection: Contemporary Prints Selections, University Art Gallery. (from the SMGA Permanent Collection), Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Essays & Images
- Bill Dooley’s remembrance of his friend, fellow artist and colleague William Christenberry is here. (“William Christenberry kept time with Hale County images,” AL.com, December 5, 2016.)
- “Alvin C. Sella – A Legend in the World of Alabama Art,” AlabamaArts, 2009, State Arts Awards issue, vol. XXIII, no. 1, pp. 24-28.
- William Dooley: Drawings on Clairmont Avenue, (solo), Birmingham, Ala.
- Dreaming Local Over and Under: Recent works by William T. Dooley, (solo), Ferguson Center Gallery, Tuscaloosa, Ala.